Monday, November 8, 2010

and yet more educational thoughts....

I really need to do research on Sir Ted Robinson as he has been entering my awareness from all kinds of different angles lately.



His words resonate so strongly with my hazy, not-yet gelled gut feelings about the types of formal education my children should receive.

The current cultural mindsets, the inconsistencies of cognitive stimulation; his words don't quite sum up all my own thinking regarding formal education. Rather, his speeches on education remind me to stay current on the educational choices. To make myself more educated about the philosophies and goals of the current system.

I need to keep thinking about this more. I refuse to follow the current model just to be a sheep leading more sheep. I see positive points in our current public/private school model ( and to say that a family should be loyal just because our country provides for all kids is not a positive point - when our country can provide for all EQUALLY, then I will feel pride towards our schooling.) However, I also refuse to expect and therefore educate my children, by pushing them onto the fast track into college.

I remember the summer after my senior year of high school in which I was adamant I was not going to college. For the most part my feelings were about rebellion and a personal response towards major transitions, but what if I had followed through with walking away? My life path would have been certainly been lost. I had no other goals or strengths at that time. I would have certainly floundered. That in itself was not inherently bad, but without any other positive direction being present in my life (yes, I understand that I was very fortunate to be directed into a college path), who could have said I wouldn't have turned to drugs or other life de-railers?

The point being for me is that I want my kids to choose their own adventures. Whatever way it takes they will see life for all its options. I hope that they can embrace life not as a linear path, but cobweb of choices. Some directions they will choose and then sometimes other paths will take them into opportunities to embrace and learn from.

My kids will be given the tools to succeed and fail. When they fail, I hope that I will have taught them to take a moment to look around and appreciate the space they have fallen into. And then they will stand back up again.

Divergent thinking. I am totally into that.