Tuesday, September 14, 2010

This and that.

North put a raisin up his nose today. And just like that, we have arrived to a new phase of childhood and parenting . I am a bit surprised, really. I thought Sky would have been the first one to try something like that.

Two kids begun their first preschool experience in my class today. They both did really well, which is a relief to me as the class as a whole has such a positive attitude that I was slightly concerned about the changing dynamic. I am still so excited to go to work each day, I love teaching. It is a bit exhausting though.

I ran with my friend Monday morning before Reed went to work. We had gotten out of our routine and it was time to begin running again. The mornings are so much darker! I hope we can get in a good number of runs before the rains begin. I have one more reason to run since I went to the grocery store and discovered that a local dairy now not only offers non-homogenized organic whole milk, but in a chocolate favor too! I really don't like buying lowfat/nonfat milk, so this is a great additional treat. All the more reason to get up early to run!

North and I put his birthday invitations into his classmates cubbies at school on Monday. He helped me match the names on the cubby to the name on the envelope. Most of the cubbies also have pictures of the child hung up so we both could put a face to a name. It was fun. But North was very adamant that he needed a letter as well. I tried to explain the hosting of the party idea and therefore not needing an invitation, but I don't think my explanation was very successful. Soon I will get a pinata from the Mexican market and round up some tables and chairs. The mini horse lady came through ( I talked her out of attending a second day of a weekend festival, hehehe) and my friend is starting work on a personalized cape that I will give as a gift.

I wasn't really into throwing big birthday parties for little kids until now. North is very much a part of our party planning so I guess the third birthday is a good place to start this party business. I feel really low key about it. Things will work out as they need to, so the stress is non-existent so far. Friends meeting at the park for a weekend potluck lunch. A pinata and a pony pulling a cart, the expense has been pretty minimal. I think we might even get home in time for naptime.

Last year at birthday time, Reed and I each gave North a book in which we wrote an inscription to North about our hopes for his upcoming year. I decided that I didn't want to start the idea with Sky on his 1st birthday, but each year after 1, for each child, we will continue the tradition. Reed found a book called, "My first bow." I haven't found a book to give to North yet. How in the world do I match a book like Reed's? North is going to love it!

I heard a baby crying and crying and crying while in Target today. The baby sounded so desperate. I went to the checkout line at the same time as the parents and I wanted to walk up to the woman to offer to hold her baby. As I tried not to watch (but was horrified all the same), she would randomly push a pacifier into his mouth, but really wasn't engaging the baby any further. While I certainly have had times that I have finished up my task before comforting my own children, I couldn't help but weep for this baby as I tried to flee the store to get away from his cries. Both parents seemed so disconnected from their newborn baby. It wasn't a slight cry either. His voice became hoarse and panicky as his parents continued to ignore the obvious cry from inside the baby bucket. Why don't people understand how important respect is during the early years of child growth? How can more people be educated as to basic baby care? Children such as this baby shouldn't be treated so inhumanely. Negativity can be stored in young brains, thus setting up the potential to repeat an abusive cycle. How will this family treat their child as he grows older? How can I help more families understand importance of this basic parenting behavior? How can I find the guts to walk up to such families?