Friday, September 3, 2010

One week later

Our family is in the middle of a transition and I feel that everyone is doing great.

North has attended his preschool four days now and he still wants to go to school each morning. Reed and I haven't spent much time with North at his school. I am still amazed at how well to took to the idea of "his school" and so I haven't wanted to push the idea that the rest of us can visit at times too. But I come from a history of parent involvement. I don't really know what North does in his school day and that bugs me. Next week I plan to take more time and spend a bit of the morning together before I leave. Does he have any favorite parts of the classroom? He has mentioned the large blocks often and a frog play area, I am curious about his interests.

His preschool class has two circle times. North thinks this is great, his teacher reported that he takes the opportunity with everyone else sitting to show off some of his funny moves. He is getting the point of circle time although I know he is thinking, "What? Someone else gets to talk and share ideas?

At the school, Snack is served as free choice and isn't offered until everyone is playing outside. The first few days, he wouldn't break away from his play to eat. The result was a crazy meltdown at our house after school. I talked with his teacher about helping him "find" the snack table (a primary goal at this school is independent choice and self-sufficiency, so the teachers will never make him eat) and the week smoothed out after that.

Sky has really been enjoying his extra time with Reed. Reed had the kids for three days straight so that I could really focus on getting the Woodside classroom together in preparation for opening next week. He takes North to school, then comes home to play music with Skyler. Very often whenever Reed leaves the door to the gear room open, Sky will run inside and play Reed's guitar. To now have the music time only with Dad, not to share with brother, must feel very special to Sky.

Sky is also adjusting his naps away from a morning nap. This is a little inconvenient as the driving North to and from school causes Sky to fall asleep in the car. I turned his carseat around last week because of this. It was earlier then I had planned, but it helps a little with the car drowsiness.

Skyler also really wants to nurse to sleep when naptime or nightime arrives. Reed has had luck with a sippy cup of milk, but sometimes it only serves to wind the kid up! The first time I was gone most of the day, I came home around 3:00pm to find Sky running around the house. Two minutes at the breast and he crashed into sleep for a long time, comforted and secure. The transition to cow milk will be successful and Sky will adjust to other ways to get to sleep soon. He is older and more comfortable with change, but I feel a little sad with this new sign of toddlerhood. I am so grateful I was able to find the support in this community and my family to continue nursing. My children have flourished in so many ways, going far beyond the basic need getting the best nutrition.

I am feeling so happy with going back to work. I couldn't ask for a better child care situation, my oldest is happy in his preschol and the youngest is a strong, healthy toddler in the care of his loving parent. (And Reed picked up the house this week! I was so impressed, learning to handle the choas of the kids and washing the dishes? Who would have known?!) The second full day back, the director of Woodside and I had a solid day of preparing for a Parent Orientation meeting. I needed to take a break to nurse Sky even if it meant driving home 20 minutes one way just to see him for 15. As it was, he passed out after nursing so fast, that I was only able to nurse him on one side. I was so hard and sore when I got home at 9 that night. Most nights, I wait for him to wake in his crib before moving him into our big bed, but that night I took him to bed immediately. He barely woke up, but cleared out the milk efficiently. Score one for the co-sleeper. In fact, during those days when I did not see Skyler much during the day, it was the night parenting that was the best. Cuddling and sleeping together is one of my favorite things about parenting. Everything is perfect at night.

And now today is Friday. My plan is to leave our Fridays wide open. North will not attend school and Reed works. Today, North watched "Word World" on PBS while Sky and I enjoyed an extended nurse-n-cuddle. We all gardened in the sun. I tentatively made plans with a friend to go to the river after nap, but the wind cooled things down too quickly. Reed barbecued venison when he got home, the kids played in the empty laundry bucket while he and I lingered at the dinner table.

I know things will be rough at certain times in the upcoming year. I won't focus on that, nor will I over-analyze the prevention of periods of tension. But I have so much more wisdom after two years out of the workforce. My boundaries between work and home will be stronger. I have a beautiful family to come home to, so I will let my work energy dissipate as I make my commute.

Patience is a muscle. Little kids need lots of patience in their lives to be healthy. I have to be patient if I am going to be an effective preschool teacher. I am going back to work so that I will be stronger for my kids. I am grateful for being able to choose this path.