Friday, August 13, 2010

Body awareness

Sky loves to tickle and be tickled. It can be very cute when he leans over to tickle person's neck or to pet the dog. He usually will giggle and chatter as he does it. However, last week Sky developed an infection involving his foreskin. It cleared up very quickly with some antibiotic ointment and 24 hours after I noticed the problem he was back to normal. But because of all the extra attention focused on that site, he has penis awareness big time. Now when we change his diaper, he reaches his hand down to his penis and says, "tickle, tickle!"

North has been very confused about how I pee. He knows that I don't have a penis like him, his dad and brother do yet somehow I am still able to pee. At the river a few days ago he went with me to the bushes and as I squatted down he studied the action very seriously. A few seconds later he announced with much joy, "Oh, there is the other hole!"

A few nights ago, North and Reed were in the bathroom. North was very sleepy as he sat on the potty. He reached his hand down... and felt something new. Reed tells the story best, but I will do my best to try to recreate the moment.

Fully awake now, North looked at his dad with a startled expression.
"What are these?!" followed closely by "what are they for?"and then "and what do they do?" Reed ran through different scenarios in his head involving the explanation of testicles, their function and sperm creation. Finally he just said, "Those are your testicles. Be very careful with them because they are sensitive." North poked and pulled, prodded and examined them before he decided that they passed inspection and could remain. I don't know how he missed this body part before.