Friday, May 29, 2009

Really? Already?

The book.
The chair.
The step stool for handwashing.
And so we have embarked on the issue of toilet training. North is telling us when he has to poop. If we ask him if he has gone poop or has a wet diaper, he usually is able to tell us a yes or no correctly most of the time. So the window of opportunity is open.
But I feel hesitant with all this. I don't feel that it is right to potty train such a young child. He has so many other things to do during his day, why should we disturb the play with the endless "North do you have to go potty?" And how long exactly will this process take? Will we be locked up a home for a week so that we are close to a toilet and can go at a moments notice?
I had all these concerns and more as I talked with my friend who has a son the same age as North. This child being her third, she often has a laid back approach that is both refreshing and reassuring. Her son has started giving notice of his need to eliminate and so she will also be getting out her potty chair. We talked about family expectations, the reality of the developmental abilities of 20 month-olds, and the importance of letting the child take the lead. My biggest concerns were getting frustrated with North "not getting it" and also embarking on such a big change right before bringing a newborn into the house. I really don't want any further complications during this time. But North is showing me a window....I don't want to ignore him.
So for now the potty book will be just another book we read. The chair will sit in the bathroom and will be referred to as needed if an opportunity arises. If it grows dusty, then so be it. I will encourage, but not push. He has many years ahead of him to use the toilet, sleep alone, use his words, etc.
Why do we ask our kids to grow up so fast?