Monday, May 25, 2009

Kinetic race conclusion

North and I drove to Ferndale to see the racers cross the finish line. The sculptures showed a little wear and tear, but still were fantastic to look at.


North calls this sculpture "babies". After the sculptures crossed the finish line, we walked through them all to see everything from a closer perspective. The babies looked a little tired from their race.






A kinetic groupie


The hippo swung around in a large circle right on front of us. Did I mention that its' mouth opens and closes? North just stared. For as much as he had talked about the hippo in the last few days, I thought he would have had more to say when we actually saw it again. I think he might have been in awe.


Two women in chicken costumes (affiliated with the large silver rooster shown earlier) walked up and down the street clucking. I asked North if he wanted to go over and say hi. We walked over and he reached right up to touch her beak. I asked him if he wanted to hug the chicken, but his bravery didn't extend that far.


Before the race we walked through a few of the shops. I liked the old fashioned mercantile shop.


We also looked through the Kinetic Sculpture museum. North liked this sculpture. It was called "the Enchanted Slipper".


We had a great time watching the race today. I didn't intend for us to stay out all afternoon but the sculptures just kept arriving! And we had to stay to see the dragon. It was one of the last to arrive. North was really patient during the wait. Earlier in the afternoon, we met a family that I know through Reed's dad, so North had some playmates to distract him.
As it was we didn't arrive home until 5:30. North had snacked throughout the afternoon but hadn't taken a nap. I thought for sure he would be going to bed early, but I was wrong! Now it is 8:30 and he is still running around with Reed enjoying the remaining sunshine and warm weather. Meanwhile, I am ready for bed!