Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Settling in

The next time I say, " I am going on a 10-day trip to visit family....and I will take the dogs!", somebody please remind me that I am crazy. Both dogs were well cared for by both my Nana and aunt, but traveling for 7 hours with a toddler and 2 big dogs can be a bit much. I am glad we are back home.

Yesterday North and I were only inside the house to eat and sleep. We didn't drive anywhere or accomplish any chores beyond the basic daily cleaning. I planted and watered, weeded and pruned. North puttered around in his green shoes; exploring and imagining. Reed commented that since we have returned he has noticed that North has many more comments to share with us. We hear what he is seeing, eating, and thinking. Yesterday in the yard, North was watching our cats play. He looked at me, then said, "Meow, Meow?" (he doesn't say cat). Then a pause. Finally, "Fritz?" Fritz is my mom's cat. North had a great time playing with and brushing the cat during our visit.

Today the weather was not as nice or sunny. The heavy, wet fog took all morning to lift and only after hours of cloud cover, did the blue sky emerge. North and I were slow moving and grumpy. We both napped and then fled to a friend's house for some toddler playtime. When evening arrived, the yard was calling out to North. I had the door open to the deck to enjoy the fresh air. Even though the time was pushing 7:30, I just couldn't start the bath/bedtime routine. It felt as though our day was just getting started!

Tomorrow we will go to playgroup and then to buy some roses and summer bulbs to plant in the garden. Reed has promised that he will help me collect driftwood to build a low fence around the second-level garden terrace. Once that is in, I can collect herbs and various plants from the plethora of non-profit fundraiser plant sales that are soon to be starting in the coming weekends. Yea sunshine!