Friday, April 3, 2009

More words

At some point last night, I moved into North's bed to sleep. He became very restless during the early morning hours, then woke for good around 5:30. I certainly wasn't getting up that early, so I did my best to ignore him by pretending to sleep. He turned and wiggled about, talked and fussed. Finally.....finally he poked me and asked, "See Dada?" I think I about catapulted him off the bed towards the other room as I answered "Yes!"

North toddled off to our bedroom, ran into our door, cried for a minute, crawled up with Reed, then all was quiet.....for about 15 seconds. Soon I could hear North talking with Reed as they cuddled. About 20 minutes later, Reed brought North back into his room to change his diaper. He was laughing as he recounted part of their conversation.

North sits up in bed after cuddling for a bit.
North: "Mama says no nurse." (pathetic little orphan-child voice rises with dismay)
"Me num-nums"

This statement also makes me laugh as North hasn't asked to nurse in bed for a long time now. I think he had woke up hungry and as Reed is the breakfast maker in the family, North decided that he needed to go to the new food source.

During the day, North has been using "I" statements. He will say "I show Mama" or "I see book". I can't remember from college what the stage of speech development he is at or what exactly he is processing cognitively. But as a parent, his language is hilarious to listen to.

His understanding of grammar is steadily developing and along with that development come the verbal mistakes. Right now, North is figuring out how to express pluralism. He calls nap time "naps" or as he is looking toward Bruin and Basil he will say "I see dog", yet he will also say "shoes" or "crackers" correctly. Sometimes as he is asking for apples, he will say "app-les". He will pause between the two syllables as if his brain is reminding his mouth to add that last sound.

It is all so fun to listen to!