Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Your Fear is not my Fear

A recent comment left by my (Common Law) Mother-in-Law, has reminded me of a portion of our President's Inaugural Address.

"...we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals." -Barack Obama

Our nation is in the process of shrugging off the pieces of a common culture diseased by FOX media, Michael Savage, and other means of controlling by fear. I see in our future,a nation being brought back into self-confidence and forward-thinking policies of action. We now have a leader who encourages free thought and that action lays not always within the government, but in its people.

I hope that our new-found confidence will soon translate into a better birthing experience for American women. Right now I see examples of woman contemplating labor as a battle. Everywhere we go, both men and women gleefully share stories of the pain and the gruesome, yet unavoidable troubles of hospital policy. So what should a women do? Should she turn away from the pregnancy path? Should she abort? Should she plan on taking drugs to numb the experience and make it all go as fast as possible? So many women give up at this point (or even after a traumatic first delivery in a hospital) and pray they can just make it until they can hold their healthy baby in their arms.

But is that any way to live? Closing your eyes and thinking of England? Not for me, thank you very much. I choose both safety and my ideals. I choose to live with a purpose, with joy, and in the moment of the one life in which I am given. I am educated, I am in the process of being educated, and tomorrow I will be educated further. I can make safe choices for myself, my baby, and my family without the input of fear and social mis-guidance. To all that have fear, please keep your ideas to yourself.

I am not a sheep.