Friday, December 12, 2008

Open up Santa's bag- should I check the toy list twice?

With holiday gift giving approaching, I am trying to be prepared for the new items that might come home with us. It seems that when all the family gets together, the season's overwhelming good tidings and cheer can overcome the common sense of Reed and I. Things that we feel are unsafe or unwise for North are accepted because it was given with love and good intentions. I won't go into my own personal philosophy of toy purchases for North, the guidance I follow that is, but I do want to be aware of the chemicals I am exposing him to as the information becomes available.

So I found this website: http://www.healthytoys.org/index.php

I already follow several "eco- fill in the blank" websites but this site is the most comprehensive. I like that a person can search by both brand and type of toy. Not all toys are listed of course, but many Melissa and Doug toys are. If people are buying their toys from thatmanufacturer because they think the toys are safer, well, just check the site...

So Mom, I hope you are reading this before you buy and wrap. I am going to be more strict now that I can verify the toxicity levels!