Sunday, December 14, 2008

He knows what he wants!

Hello everyone, this is Reed, I just thought I'd share a story from tonight. I normally try to put North to sleep a few times a week to give Mom a break and help get him used to someone else putting him to sleep. Hopefully this will aid babysitters and family if ever they were to be spending the evening with North. It has become something that I enjoy even after a long days work because it gives us time alone together and that is when he truly shines his brightest. But, after books,brushing teeth, and saying goodnight to nearly everything within eyesight, North eventually realizes that Dad is putting him to bed again and he won't be falling asleep with a breast in his mouth. Which is what he really wants and loves(hard to blame him) :) That's when he breaks down and lets his displeasure be known.

Tonight however was completely different. We went out to dinner at the Brew with the View, as always it was very loud, North decided that he had no problem keeping up with that kind of energy and was like a Tasmanian devil! We returned home and Mom needed a hot bath so I planned on playing with North until his wild energy dissipated, which I figured would take at least an hour. But after a few minutes we found ourselves upstairs in his room reading books. As he was winding down quite quickly, I thought I'd change his diaper and clothes. That way when he did get tired he would be ready for bed. At this point I am still expecting another half hour or so of play. However he sat up and promptly begins saying "baa - bye" to everything in his room, curious I played along and we walked over and turned off the lights. This is when the breakdown usually occurs, but he just kept right on "baa - byeing" and pointed out the door. Really surprised at this point, I walked him out of his room to our bedroom thinking "there is no way he is really going to sleep." As soon as he saw our bed he said "mama?" in his slightly sad little boy voice and I told him "mama is taking a bath and you're going night-night with dad", he turned to me and said, in his most confident and assured voice, "baa bye", while waving and nodding his head up and down, turned and reached his arms to the bed, I sat him down, he crawled to the corner, bumped his head against the wall, kicked his legs a few times, and promptly fell asleep, leaving his father stunned and smiling all at the same time. He never ceases to amaze. Life is cool.