Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Saturday

This morning Reed, North and I ate breakfast before Reed left for work. I was feeling grumpy and unsettled. A unsettled mother inside on a rainy day with her young child. Not a great combination, so off to the beach for us!

An extra bonus soon became apparent; North fell asleep on the drive. I made a unscheduled, early lunch stop at a very groovy cafe. North easily transfers into the Ergo and sleeps on. Thank you! I ate my Condescending Vegan bagel, drank my tea, and enjoyed the front section on the New York Times. North woke up as I was finishing the last page. Yes! I ordered a slice of huckleberry-banana-lavender bread for his snack and with both of us well fueled, we moved onto the beach.

The waves were rough and huge. The colors were deep and subtle. The negative ions were both healing and a welcome path for inner reflections. A few brave surfers tried their luck between the rocks. The dogs found a dead skunk to investigate. North explored the edges of a large rock. He sat in the sand to poke his fingers in. The wet sand sucked in his entire hand. I think that blew his mind for a few minutes. After a bit, he decided he needed to examine the wet sand and the little streams of water at eye level. He kicked and splashed so much, the dogs ran over to see what all the fun was about. When his lips started turning blue, we headed back to the car.

After a change of diaper and warm footsie jammies, it was time to drive home. A warm bath was just the thing to wash all the sand away and warm up cold hands. A pre-nap snack follows, then it is off to bed. While North was sleeping and I was washing/ hanging diapers, I remembered that a friend was having a small party that same afternoon. The day get better and better! I talk on the phone with Nana about Thanksgiving travel plans as North begins to wake.

The party was great, we met new people and discussed the local political climate. North and I go back home to make dinner before Reed arrives. I remember that there is to be an interesting class at the Herbal store this coming Monday evening, so I sign up just as the class fills. North eats a ton of rice and lentils; he is not as found of the green beans. Just as well, Reed and I love the recipe. (Thanks Joanna!) Reed gets North ready for bed, North and I nurse, Reed lays him down.

The rain continues, yet the tone is different. Instead of being a confining presence, it just seems to be coming from a unforseen direction.