Monday, November 10, 2008

Somatic healing

I went to an interesting class tonight.

The lecture was given by a local yoga teacher who spoke about Somatic healing. I hadn't heard of this idea of healing , yet was intrigued by the thought of adding another layer to my knowledge of the capacities of the human body.

Robyn explained the idea of Somatic healing in this way. (This is my interpretation of what I heard tonight.) When a body part is injured, it can "hold" on to the pain even after the injury has healed. Our brain (which is ultimately responsible for muscle movement) might even protect that sensitive portion of our body by keeping the muscles contracted, thus creating tension and fatigue. Somatic healing ("soma" - healing from within the body) helps the brain and body let go of the pain memory and with it create a better way to carry that particular body part. When done in conjunction with yoga therapy (not passive stretching, but a more focused, conscious movement), the entire body can move past the injury and become in better alignment and energy. My articulation of this idea is a little jumbled because I have only just learned the concept. I will try to seek out more information to better understand.

The question was asked about the practice of yoga therapy/Somatic healing in relation to a person who hasn't had a traumatic injury. Robyn replied that everyday living affects our body alignment is some way. So by working through some specific yoga positions; one can overcome repeated lower back pain, crooked shoulders, and so forth that naturally occurs in daily movement.

The class was very intriguing and informative. I feel thankful that I live in a community that supports ongoing life education. I think going to this class has put another tool into my intuitive supply box that will aid myself sometime in the future.