Friday, July 16, 2010

Life is good.

So I have been pretty quiet on the computer lately. Part of the reason is the wonderful weather we have been enjoying. The kids and I have been in the yard digging, riding wheely-things, getting wet, swinging, getting dirty. All things that are best enjoyed in the summer.

Living with a two year old and a pre-verbal toddler is not quiet. North has TONS of ideas and verbal sparring to do as Skyler chimes in whenever he spots a break in the noise. By the time the kids are in bed, I just want silence. Including from myself.

I have been doing a lot of reading online. Nothing research oriented, just browsey stuff. I have enjoyed thinking about the power of bacteria and the influences on our bodies as read in these two different articles.

Skyler and North have been a joy. Sky is taking steps here and there. He will walk across a room partway, then fall down to his knees to quickly crawl to his destination. Today I caught him in the laundry room up on top of the second shelf, eating dry cat food. I guess our house needs more baby-proofing! I am continuously amazed by his climbing skills.

North, Reed and I have been experimenting with North's bedtime time. North has been taking long afternoon naps as Sky has been shortening his own naps. Sky desperately wants to go to sleep by 6:00, North was not so ready.

So following North's lead one night as he announced that he was feeling tired and ready for Sleepytime at 8:30, we changed the hard, fast bedtime to a flexible, North-led decision. The goal is to help North understand the cues his body gives him regarding a need to sleep. Rather then struggle with keeping North in bed to have him quietly, yet painfully endure hours of wakefulness, I choose to validate his needs.

My big concern was that I wouldn't get my quiet time. But as the summer evenings linger on, Reed and North have found plenty to do without me. North goes out in the field with Reed when practicing with his bow, they go on short walks. It really has opened up an opportunity for kid-time that normally would be hidden from Reed because of his working all day. North soaks up the extra Daddy-time.

However, in order for this to work happily for all involved, I reserve the right to call it a night.

North understands that if he is whiny or grumpy, he gets sent to bed. I verbally identify what behaviors I see in him so that he can learn to recognize his own body cues.

We are giving this time. Maybe it will only work this summer. Maybe it is only working because Sky is cutting his last teeth and therefore sleeps less during the day.

I don't know.

The point is that I parent with my kids. Not as a friend, but not as a Soviet dictator.

Life is good.