Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday thoughts

Today I left the kids! I had planned for a couple hours for myself to go to the beach with the dogs, but with the tsunami warning I wasn't sure I could follow through in that idea. As it was, the police had blocked off the entrance to Trinidad State Beach so the dogs and I walked along the bluffs and looked at the waves for a while (yes, the dogs looked at the waves too). No great waves of disaster, I guess the coastline is safe for another day.

Reed has been diagnosed with 28 food allergies plus an intolerance to gluten. He has been so amazingly positive with the radical eating change. He has been eating lots of rice and fruits and veggies, plus drinking more water. He has had more energy for working out and while not losing a ton of wight, he has lost a good deal of the puffiness in his face and torso.

I, on the other hand, am experiencing an empathetic grumpiness. I can't imagine giving up gluten foods or garlic or eggs or onions, or...the Reed's do-not-eat list goes on and on. I love eating bagels and oatmeal, egg sandwiches. I am trying to be supportive and not eat those foods around Reed, but I failing horribly with the positive attitude. I NEED REAL CARBS!

I picked up a huge bag of carrots from the Co-op a few days ago. North loves carrots and Reed can actually eat them. The carrots are from a farm a few miles inland. I love winter carrots. The frost/freeze makes the sugar stronger so eating a carrot is like a dessert. I am not even going to attempt a gluten-free carrot cake yet. I will most certainly ruin the loveliness of the carrot taste.