Sunday, August 2, 2009

Two weeks in

This face sums up most of our mornings lately. Reed and I are in the process of adjusting our morning routine, and North is adjusting to changing levels of attention. The honeymoon phase is definitely over.


I have started putting North down for an early morning nap (today it was 8:30 am) because his energy is much more positive if he restarts the day after that morning nap. But as we have stopped nursing before napping; laying down without crying is still out of reach. In the meantime, Sky and I will lay with North until he falls asleep; our transition towards independent sleeping is slow yet steady.

North is feeling the effects of less attention. He is whining more. He throws things inside and pokes the dogs with a "spear". Everything he is currently doing is developmentally appropriate for the circumstances he is trying to understand. Today he and Reed took the garbage to the dump and ran a few other errands. Having just the two of them spend time together helps North adjust to the changing family dynamics.
North and I still nurse as we lay down for the night. Reed holds Sky downstairs as North and I talk about the day after nursing in the bed. That solo time he and I share together makes up for some of the hard times we might have had earlier. Because he seeing Sky nurse during the day, yet he is nursing less often, North will hold Reed and I tighter when we lay in bed with him. He asks and gives kisses more frequently (even to his brother). So in his own way, he is adjusting.

Sky has continued to be a mellow baby. He gazes intently on our faces when we talk and hold him. I have been putting him on his belly as I lay in front of him at face level. Sky will lift his head for a few moments to look at my eyes before his heavy head falls back onto the blanket. He enjoys being in the warm waters of the bath. I will lay him in the sink supporting just his head and neck while to floats and looks around. He looks very peaceful.

I have been trying to bath Sky every day or so. His gassiness has increased in the last few days to the point of bubbles and spit-up after every feeding. He is able to let out some pretty loud burps after nursing, but I still hear lots of stomach gurgling and farting and pooping between the feedings. I guess he is good at passing everything through, because all that gas doesn't seem to be bothering him.


This week we had our cousins visit from out of town. North loved playing with and being cared for by his 8year old cousin, Jenna. Shellee and I were able to sit in the living room listening to all the play outside. Reed took Auston to the river for a few hours of fishing. Unfortunately, all they found were some sucker fish and a crawdad. Maybe the next time they visit some bigger fish will be caught.

So I guess all is normal for now. Our routines are beginning to become easier. North and Sky are generally happy throughout the day. Reed and I are happy. What more could I ask for?