Friday, August 7, 2009

Shattering the next social norm: home burial

A few months ago our local NPR station had a show detailing different ways people in the community participated in home burials. The show also mentioned a workshop that was to be held a few days later. Unfortunately, I did not hear all of the radio show or was able to go to the workshop, but the topic definitely opened an area of interest for me. I would like to know more about the regulations in our area.

In the article linked below, a few people have their pine box coffins laying around the house as furniture. Wouldn't that be interesting to see and talk about as a guest in their home? I bet those people's families know their end-of-life wishes.

Although, I don't think I would want a coffin. Just a shroud, please. Just me and the dirt.

Home Burials Offer an Intimate Alternative