Tuesday, June 2, 2009

CSA veggie day


Today was our day to pick up veggies from Eddy the farmer. North remembered our visit from last week and asked for strawberries right away!
I don't have a picture of all our vegetables because we got home late and I needed to start dinner right away. North had taken such a late nap that he was happy to play with Reed as I fixed dinner, but I still felt rushed. If I serve dinner later then 6:00, it feels late somehow. I guess that comes from eating dinner every night at 5:30 sharp while growing up. No excuses, everyone at the table on time. Anyway, dinner tonight was late but no meltdowns or asteroids fell on our heads, so all was well.
This weeks vegetable take was: 2 lbs of fava beans, 3 summer squash, a bundle of kale, two lettuce heads, 1/2 lb snap peas, 2 small cauliflowers, 1 bunch of carrots, bok choy or arugula (choose one) and a basket of strawberries.
Eddy's recipe called for sauteing the fava beans in olive oil, then adding white wine and garlic and the chopped kale. I cooked it all down for a few minutes and voila, it was done. Very simple, yet tasty. Reed and I really like the addition of the white wine to the kale and beans. It was not something that we commonly do, but will in the future if we have the wine available.
For a protein source, I chopped up some dill, parsley, and lemon balm. After brushing stone ground mustard over two fish fillets from a rockfish that Reed caught on Sunday, I pressed the herbs onto the top and bottom of the fish. The fish was quickly cooked in the pan with a bit of melted butter. Fresh fish is amazing! Fresh herbs when cooking are even better!