Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Taking a break

Please don't misunderstand. I love my place in life. Parenting North the way I do is a very rewarding part of my life. Although it is a rather large part of my life right now, I do need a break every now and again to maintain a peaceful mind.
I love, love the community I live in. The diversity, the stimulation, the food! So when I need to get away for an hour or two (by myself!), I usually chose any of the following places:


Los Bagels has weird bagels. Well, they are weird at first. They are small and hard like hockey pucks and surprisingly good. But the choices of topping are endless, nutritious, and so delicious. I love their coffee, very dark and rich. This place serves pastries (which I have so far resisted getting sucked into), salads, and soups. But to date, I only go for the bagels.

The quirky thing about this place is that it is closed on Tuesdays. Which is usually the same day I feel like eating their bagels. So after almost ten years of living here, I have finally learned a little internal monologue.

Me: I feel like a bagel.
My brain: Is it Tuesday?

Don't laugh, it saves a lot of heartache when I pull it to a dark storefront. I love this place.


North does ok when we grocery shop together. But he doesn't like to browse like I do. So when I can, I will leave him and Reed at home and shop on my own timeline. The Coop has organic produce, a great bulk food section, and a large selection of packaged items. I like looking through the "household-y" items and the teas. I think the prices are reasonable, but that's because I buy mostly whole foods. I don't like paying for additives and packaging.


Walking into Caffe Mokka on a rainy day is like stepping into a small Scandinavian shop. ( I am guessing here, but the atmosphere makes me think of Norway). Light wood paneling and floors, a huge fireplace, and cramped tables. The lighting is perfect, not dim, but bright enough to make up for all the wood. Evenings are the best. A funky band (usually made up of old people) plays in the corner, people play board games and sip their hot drinks. This places serves soup but it is out of a box and not very good. I like to order a hot apricot juice with whipped cream.
But the best, the very best, is the selection of reading material. This places has the usual US magazines and newspapers, but also some English versions of foreign newspapers as well. I could sit and read all day.
I haven't been to Japhy's Soup and Noodles alone in a long time. However, I included it because I would go there if the timing was right. (This place has a justified, yet annoying habit of closing for extended vacations and is always closed on the weekends)
I have a special place in my heart for Japhy's because it opened the year before I arrived for college, and so I have been able to see the changes and growth this restaurant has made. The food has stayed simple, yet so satisfying.
-------------
As I re-read the posting, I see the above list has included only food!
I don't feel like I eat all day, I guess I just like to enjoy good food when I need a peaceful moment!