Saturday, November 1, 2008

Stimulating the Reading Bug

Reading is a big deal in our house. Reed and I each read different types of print, but find us at different times of the day and you will most likely catch us reading something. We read text online, a variety of magazines, and take many trips to the library and local second-hand bookstores. Although I do wish we could get the LA Times or the Chronicle delivered to our house; reading newspapers through the computer is just not the same.


Back when I read for college, most of the texts were interesting, but the knowledge that someone else was telling me to do the reading killed most of my joy. I got back into creative-based reading after I began my "real" job. Low-calorie books like Jonathan Kellerman are fun to read as well as intellectually stimulating books like Barbara Kingsolver and "Guns, Germs and Steel".


When I became pregnant, I wanted to read everything related to pregnancy and labor. (I did throw away a horror book titled "What to expect when you are expecting". Could that book be any more fear driven?) I think the reading of reading positive, uplifting books helped North develop well and my body understand how to birth him in an easy manner.

Now that the trauma of keeping a newborn alive and well (apparently a series of books I forgot to read while pregnant!) has eased, I have begun reading for pleasure and intellectual curiosity again. North always wants to see what I could possibly be doing without him, so that makes him very interested in my books. I do most of my reading while he is asleep, but we should all be good influences to our children.... =). When he grabs my books, we go to his board books and we read together. His favorite was "Secret Seahorse" but then I found this...


I picked up "In the Town All Year 'Round" on a whim. This book has very little text and reminded me of the "Where's Waldo" series. I had intended for the book to be saved for a future time, but the pictures were so engaging, North and I had to look as soon as we got home. As he is able to say "dog" and "cat", we began looking for those animals. Since the time this book has come home, we have looked through it everyday. Last night after North went to bed, I paged through the book at my own pace. I discovered even more humor and plot twists I hadn't noticed before! This book is amazing. I know North doesn't yet understand all that he sees in this book, but at what point should I expect him too? North will tell me when my ideas aren't getting across, I just need to share language and listen to his.